Current job announcements:
- Climate Justice Organizer
Climate Justice Organizer
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Do you want to be an agent for positive change in farmworker and rural communities in Florida? Fight for climate and environmental justice for those who have least contributed to but are most vulnerable to the effects of climate change? To address the underlying systemic issues in agriculture that harm both farmworkers, food consumers (i.e. all of us), and our climate? The Farmworker Association of Florida (FWAF) is looking for a responsible, committed, motivated, experienced and passionate leader for the position of Climate Justice Organizer.
The Farmworker Association of Florida is seeking applicants for a Climate Justice Organizer position to help support the strategic vision and implementation of our Climate, and Environmental Justice Campaign in Central Florida. Candidates who are committed to climate and environmental justice, agroecology and food sovereignty, and a Just Transition centering frontline farmworker communities to build a movement for a more just and sustainable economy are encouraged to apply. The Climate Justice Organizer will help move this platform forward into implementation through outreach, education, campaign development and oversight, leadership development, and youth and community organizing. We are looking for a candidate who demonstrates excellent organizing, strategic, leadership, advocacy and collaborative skills, including public relations, team building, and community outreach.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate information, communication, relationships, and processes to advance the Climate and Environmental Justice Campaign
- Develop relationships among community members and among ally and partner organizations
- Conduct outreach, education and community member and youth organizing
- Train leaders on climate and environmental justice within the practice of agroecology and the vision of the food sovereignty movement
- Build capacity of community members’ and youth leadership to advocate and give testimony on their own behalf
- Support the development and implementation of political education curricula
- Support the development of narrative strategies and sharing of communications related to the Climate and Environmental Justice Campaign.
- Advance the efforts to support and advocate for policies for a Just Transition Qualifications:
- Experience in grassroots or labor organizing around climate, racial, and/or economic justice
- Demonstrated understanding of climate, environmental justice, farmworker, immigrant, labor, other social change issues Climate Justice Organizer
- Well-developed critical thinking, time management, and leadership skills
- Organized, self-starter, highly motivated, ready to take initiative to grow
- Ability to plan, organize, and lead community meetings
- Bilingual English/Spanish; excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills in English and Spanish
- Ability to develop positive working relations with diverse ethnic and cultural communities
- A deep commitment to supporting, amplifying and following frontline leadership • Willing to work flexible hours, and to work nights and weekends when needed
- Personal transportation and good driving record; flexibility to travel in Central Florida and occasionally to other areas of the state
- Technological skills, including familiarity and expertise in working with Microsoft 365: Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook, Teams, SharePoint, as well as Zoom, Social Media, Texting, WhatsApp, and other relevant tools.
- Significant skills in using digital organizing platforms.
We encourage women, people of color, and/or candidates with farm work experience or from a farmworker family to apply. We will provide training support to the person hired for this position.
About the Farmworker Association of Florida
FWAF is a 38-year-old, grassroots, non-profit, statewide, membership organization with offices in Central and South Florida. The mission of the organization is to build power among farmworkers and low-income rural communities to respond to and gain control over the social, political, economic, workplace, health and environmental justice issues that impact their lives. Over the decades, our work for and with farmworkers and rural immigrant and people of color communities has established our reputation as a force for lifting up the voices of the marginalized people to speak truth to power. We work in collaboration with others through coalitions, alliances, networks and cooperation to strive for deep structural and institutional change and for justice.
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Nezahualcoyotl Xiuhtecutli at [email protected] NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Click here for a PDF of the job description:
Climate Justice Organizer – JOB DESCRIPTON